This is one of my FAVORITE recipes. First off the color alone grabs everyones attention. Then you add in the delicious flavors and the superfoods and it is a show stopper!
I always like to make yummy things even better by adding superfoods and giving it a nutrition boost! Enjoy this recipe with fresh vegetables or add it to a salad for a creamy protein packed addition.
- 1 can chickpeas, drained - keep the water
- 2 medium beets
- 1 handful of spinach
- 3 tablespoons tahini
- 1 lemon, juice and zest
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- pinch of salt & pepper
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- To roast beets - preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Clean the beats by removing the stem and scrubbing the skin under running water. Be careful not to stain your clothes with any of the juices. Chef Note: Drizzle olive oil on the beets and rub the olive evenly on the skin. This help the beets peel much easier. Wrap the beets with aluminum foil and seal by folding the foil together to make a pouch. Roast for 40 minutes or until a knife goes into the beet easily.
- Cool, peel, and chop beets. Chef Note: Using a wet dish towel is the easiest way to peel roasted beets, try doing it when they are still warm will also help with the ease.
- Toss the beets in your food processor. Start pulsing to break it up. Then let it run until the beets are in small bits
- Add all the ingredients, except the olive oil, and blend until smooth. If it is too thick, add 1-2 tablespoons of the chickpea water. This is when it will take the look of hummus.
- Slowly drizzle in the olive oil as the hummus is mixing. This will allow the hummus to take a velvet texture.
- Taste and adjust the seasonings as needed. Add more salt, lemon juice, or olive oil. If it is super thick you can add some more water.
- Enjoy! I love to eat it with cut of fresh vegetables, but it can also be enjoyed in a salad, with crackers, or pita bread.
- Store. This will keep in the fridge for up to a week. Keep it to the front of the fridge so you don’t forget it!
Comment below if you tried this recipe!